In Part 1 We identified the problem i was recently asked to investigate and looked at getting some output from the batch script being run by the Windows Task Scheduler. As this was a production environment, there was little that could be modified and remote debugging wasn't an option. In this part 2 post, we will continue to fault find touching on the Python and .Net components i mentioned previously and get to the point where the problem is fully identified and subsequently fixed without any changes made to the production code. Having started to receive output, the next step was to make some sense of it. The first thing i did was wrap the area of interest in the python script with a try catch 1) some generic exception try: except: print "Exception: %s" % (sys.exc_info()) Exception: Query Error This was at least a start in that it looked database related at this point The next task was to identify the type of exception being thrown
A quick look at the Visual Studio 2017 RC installation and first impressions on the look and feel of the new IDE My first impressions are really good. The web install genuinely took around 7 minutes and I was up and launching a new Asp.Net Core boilerplate application in a further 2 minutes, allowing for first time customisation and profile configure. That’s zero to hero in under ten minutes which is finally a wait time I can work with and will no doubt encourage non Microsoft Developers to just give it a try. I decided to go for the community edition for simplicity. The new setup experience The installer has been written from the ground up and it certainly feels nicer than the typical Microsoft Installer experience of not so long ago. I really like the select what you need approach and add later, which has always been possible but is a cleaner approach where you are selecting your intent rather than a host of individual features typical of a custom install.